Last April 27 I gave a talk about theme development with Root’s Sage 9 excellent starter theme in the Bilbao’s 2019 WordCamp.
Sage’s best features are:
- Optimized structure and files organization.
- Uses Composer to manage PHP packages.
- Uses npm/yarn for front-end package management.
- Enhances ES6 usage.
- Writes style sheets with SASS easily.
- Compiles and optimizes resources (CSS, images, fonts, etc.).
- Uses the template engine Blade: Template inheritance.
- Concerns separation: MVC pattern.
- Controllers and Traits that follow WordPress template hierarchy.
If you are looking for a Sage expert you can contract me at Codeable.